Department of Architectural Engineering, Hanyang University1
Department of Architecture & Architectural Engineering, Hanyang University2
Different countries create their own green building rating system to be in line with sustainable development as a response to the urgent call for solution for Climate Change and degradation of the environment due to rapid population growth and economic development. This study conducts a critical review on the Philippine national voluntary green building rating system, BERDE, in comparison with South Korea’s national voluntary green building rating system, G-SEED and U.S. rating system LEED. Their categories, building types assessed, and assessment methods were compared side by side to seek better practice(s) for green building rating assessment for Philippine green building projects.
1. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The Rio declaration on envi-ronment and development. Environment and Development, 1992.
2. The World Bank. State and Trends of Carbon Pricing. International Bank of Reconstruction and Development, 2018.
3. Green Building Initiative (GBI). Available at https://www.thegbi.org/about-gbi/press-room/article/green-building- market-study-shows-250-growth-in-alternative-rating-systems, 2014.
4. United Nations (UN). Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations framework convention on climate change. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, 1998.
5. E. Holden, K. Linnerud, and D. Banister. Sustainable development: our common future revisited. Global En-viron-mental Change, 26(5) (2014), pp. 130-139.
6. Whole Building Design Guide (WBDG). Available at https://www.wbdg.org/resources/green-building-standards- and-certification-systems, 2016.
7. USGBC. Available at https://www.usgbc.org/articles/green-building-facts, 2017.
8. G-SEED. Available at http://gseed.greentogether.go.kr, 2018.
9. BERDE. Available at http://berdeonline.org/#about-berde, 2018.
10. Arc. Available at http://www.arcskoru.com, 2018.
11. Energy Star. Available at https://www.energystar.gov/sites/default/files/buildings/tools/DataTrends_Savings_ 20121002.pdf, 2012.
12. T. Roberts. We spend 90% of our time indoors. Building Green, 2016.